Re: Bonehead Move, LVM

Michael A Peters wrote:

"No way?" I didn't try it, but booting to runlevel 1 and rm -rf /usr /boot before booting into the installation media for the "clean" install of FC(n+1) should get you to the same place.

If /usr/local is not a separate partition that is unmounted first, that
would get you into some trouble. You probably would also want to
wipe /etc and /var (though if you haven't moved apache, mysql, etc data
to /srv first that may also get you into trouble with lost data)

Fair enough, although the issues with what to keep and what to destroy down /var or /etc are the same if they are on their own partition or all on /. These are problems with trying to integrate a "clean install" concept into a living system rather than anything else. With the right list on the rm -rf line it will emulate whatever the partitioning would have achieved.

Are there any other reasons to have partitions and LVM on boxes with one storage device and no possibility for internal expansion?

I found in nice when installing TeXLive. Since TeXLive is self

Well I didn't know TeX was that difficult to handle it basically needed its own OS ;-)

Another advantage of separate logical volumes / partitions - you can
make a new partition to install the new OS into so you can boot into the
old OS if you need to (IE when something critical is broken in new
release). I do that on my desktop, but not my laptop. I don't install a
new Fedora on my laptop until everything I need works on the Desktop.

When I have to use the one Windows app that still needs XP, I do it in Vmware, without partitioning my storage device for it. If you want to install XP and Linux on the same drive without virtualization then I guess you have to make two partitions, but it doesn't make you fragment the linux one any further than / and swap.

-Andy