Re: How can I install a Agere NIC in my laptop?

Miguel Pedreño Saura wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a LG laptop with a Agere Network card et131x.
>
> Ive got a RPM form the Web
> http://dadams1969.googlepages.com/et131xkernelmodule:
>
> http://dadams1969.googlepages.com/et131x-1.2.2-3.src.rpm
>

> and I don't know how I can install this. Making:
>
> * rpm -Uvhi et131x-1.2.2-3.src.rpm ---> Result Ok but no new ethernet
> are defined.

that's because you have installed the source package.
the modules still need building...

> * rpmbulid --rebuil et131x-1.2.2-3.src.rpm --> error at line 30 =
> unknown tag: %suse_kernel_module_package um

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
vi et131x.spec (or whatever the file is called)

or indeed, post the top portion of the spec file here - please do not
include the
%files or %changelog sections and perhaps someone can help you fix it?

it looks like the spec file is aimed at a SUSE distribution.
So many of the requirements will have slightly different names under fedora.

but *please* build this as a non-root user.
###############
log in as (choose a valid username!)
# vi /home/<user>/.rpmmacros -> add this line (put the correct username)

%_topdir /home/<user>/REDHAT

# now create the dirs you need
mkdir -p /home/user/REDHAT/{RPMS,SRPMS,SOURCES,BUILD,SPECS}

now install the src rpm as your <user> - it will put its files under
/home/user/REDHAT/SOURCES and /home/user/REDHAT/SPECS/

You can now edit the spec file and rebuild the rpm using

rpmbuild -ba /home/user/REDHAT/SPECS/et131x.spec

> I don't have connetivity to Internet.

> Perhaps, I can compile the patch but I don't know I can install
> linux-headers and builds-essential that are required for patch with
> fedora.

Then you may have problems. I would assume that you mean kernel-devel?
can you not download that to the box you use to send these messages?

regards

Stuart

- --
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCSS RHCX PEBKAC STFU
"Quit worrying about your health. It'll go away."
- - Robert Orben