Re: Bonehead Move, LVM

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 13:49 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 20:17:30 +0100,
> >   bram <bram@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Would it not be a good idea to add a checkbox in the installer wich says
> >>yes automic partitioning but no lvm.
> >

> > I think doing the custom layout covers that case adequately. I think for the
>
> No, it does not. The *default* install should not be something that
> is worse than useless to the *average* user.

The average user does not accidentally delete their home directory by
incorrectly cut and paste into an xterm window.

The average user who cares about backup uses something like rsync (or
even tar) to do so regularly, so that restoration in case of accident is
cake.

The advanced user uses something like amanda so that restoration is
cake.

LVM is a godsend. Learn how to use it.

I hated it too when it first appeared. Then I read the docs and said
"Wow, this is kick ass".

> > case where you let anaconda do it, having lvm so you can change things later
> > easily makes sense. If you don't want LVM, then you really should pick the
> > partition layout yourself.
>
> I disagree most strongly with this position. The default install
> should not be one which is inappropriate for most situations, as
> is LVM in its current state. Have you studied reliability theory?

LVM allows easy resizing of partitions, something you can not safely do
with ext2 partitions without LVM. LVM avoids the need to completely back
up and restore a drive because the average user was not psychic enough
to know how things should be laid out to be space efficient 2 years post
install.

LVM allows you to leave lots of unused space so that you can use it
where you need it when you need it without having to fuss with mount
points and figuring out how to make the mount points integrate most
effectively into your file system.

-=-

If I were to change Anaconda w/ respect to LVM - these are the changes I
would make:

1) VolGroup00 would only be used as a last resort. It is better IMHO to
name it after the hostname - IE Atlantis00

That avoids fstab issues (that also existed with the old
LABEL=/mountpoint scheme)

However, Anaconda doesn't know the hostname before it sets up
partitioning. So that suggestion belongs in the dock.

2) Should not default to one big LV

It should default when space allows to a 6GiB / and a 10GiB /home - and
default to leaving the rest of the available PEs unused

3) Default PE size should IMHO be 4MB not 32MB. I know a larger PE means
you can join lots of PVs into one massive VG but a VG should only span
multiple PVs if you have a good hardware raid setup, so a smaller
default PE size is probably better suited for most Fedora installs.