Re: Changing resolution on laptop

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:29 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 14/02/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > about
> > > see
> > >
> > > I'm pretty sure that the computer can determine what refresh rate to
> > > send to the monitor. In Desktop Properties -> Display there is a field
> > > Refresh Rate, but it sits at 0 hz for the 1400x1050 resolution and 60
> > > hz for the 1024x768 resolution. On my desktop machine (currently
> > > kubuntu) I can choose between 60hz, 75 hz, and 85 hz for the 1024x768
> > > resolution.
> > Well I believe here we have a mixup in terms. Whenever I have looked at
> > the book that comes with a monitor it tells me what refresh rate the
> > monitor will use for each resolution it will accept.
> >
> > Now it is true that you can set the refresh range rate the video card
> > will use in xorg.conf but you will still have the refresh rate the
> > monitor is set up to use. If the video card uses a refresh rate that the
> > monitor won't handle (in the old days you could damage the monitor) the
> > monitor will just not display the image. So in xorg.cong you are
> > supposed to choose a refresh range that is indicated in the monitor
> > manual.
>
> Makes sense. This monitor came with the wife (my monitor has died
> since meeting her and I inherited hers). As with many other things
> that came with the wife, there is no instruction manual. However, as
> with many other things that came from the wife, I'm learning by
> experience how to care for it. Kubuntu fed the monitor 85 hz, so 85 hz
> is safe. Therefore, I assume that the command "VertRefresh     85"
> should be safe, but I need to know what "HorizSync" values would
> accomnany that. Or, can I leave that bit out? I'd rather ask here than
> experiment (as I do with other things).
>
> Dotan Cohen
Once again, Google is your friend.  look up the monitor specs on google.
Someone somewhere will have posted them, possibly the manufacturer.
Google often keeps old pages in an archive, and that is searchable as
well.

If that fails, start with line frequency where you live and go up by
2.5hz at a time to about 85 or so.  You will likely get some messages on
the monitor when the rate is outrageous, but if it is an LCD monitor no
harm will be done, and starting from the low side, you are unlikely to
even hurt an analog monitor as long as you stop when you see bad stuff.

Regards,
Les H