Re: Changing resolution on laptop

On Wednesday 14 February 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>On 14/02/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > about

>> > see

>> > I'm pretty sure that the computer can determine what refresh rate to
>> > send to the monitor. In Desktop Properties -> Display there is a
>> > field Refresh Rate, but it sits at 0 hz for the 1400x1050 resolution
>> > and 60 hz for the 1024x768 resolution. On my desktop machine
>> > (currently kubuntu) I can choose between 60hz, 75 hz, and 85 hz for
>> > the 1024x768 resolution.
>>
>> Well I believe here we have a mixup in terms. Whenever I have looked
>> at the book that comes with a monitor it tells me what refresh rate
>> the monitor will use for each resolution it will accept.
>>
>> Now it is true that you can set the refresh range rate the video card
>> will use in xorg.conf but you will still have the refresh rate the
>> monitor is set up to use. If the video card uses a refresh rate that
>> the monitor won't handle (in the old days you could damage the
>> monitor) the monitor will just not display the image. So in xorg.cong
>> you are supposed to choose a refresh range that is indicated in the
>> monitor manual.
>
>Makes sense. This monitor came with the wife (my monitor has died
>since meeting her and I inherited hers). As with many other things
>that came with the wife, there is no instruction manual. However, as
>with many other things that came from the wife, I'm learning by
>experience how to care for it. Kubuntu fed the monitor 85 hz, so 85 hz
>is safe. Therefore, I assume that the command "VertRefresh     85"
>should be safe, but I need to know what "HorizSync" values would
>accomnany that. Or, can I leave that bit out? I'd rather ask here than
>experiment (as I do with other things).

And some of those experiments,.. ahh this is a mailing list.

Seriously Dotan this is far more important than the vertical rate.

Generally speaking (and there are no doubt exceptions) all crt type
monitors can run as slow as 31.5 kilohertz, theoretically.  But as that
explores the upper limit in time that the current can be allowed to build
up in the transformer and its switching transistor, I personally wouldn't
want to run it that slow for an extended time.  If the transformer core
ever saturates, something that's ever easier to do with the ferrite cores
in use, and their often less than 100C curie points, then the mirror will
break in a few milliseconds letting all the smoke out, and we all know it
doesn't work anymore if you let the smoke out. :)

At the other extreme, 50 kilohertz and above, you will eventually run into
the display width limitation the power supply's maximum voltage will
impose, but this is generally harmless since the currents go down too and
generally things will actually run cooler.

I tend to want to run a crt monitor at, or maybe even 2 or 3 kilohertz
above the nameplate ratings, and it seems I get good life out of them
doing so. There is a 15 year old NEC 5FG sitting on the next desk here,
works just like a new one yet running at about 76kilohertz.

When you look at your (x).conf file, there should be an hsync line in it,
that can contain a min-max range in kilohertz, so I generally set this to
a min of 33 khz to keep it from using those slow modelines, and a max 2-3
khz above the monitors nameplate shown range.  Both this 'Starlogic' 19",
and that old 17" NEC are then showing me a 1600x1200 screen.

Look up 'curie point' in a tech doc about modern ferrites, its quite
enlightening.  I have had 2 failures that I know of from that effect.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)