Re: Desktop settings not recognized after upgrade from FC2 to FC6

Mike Burger wrote:
On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 14:48 -0500, Mike Burger wrote:
I just upgraded from FC2 to FC6, and when I logged in, I got errors
indicating that it couldn't recognize my Desktop directory, or the
contents therein.

Any apps I had starting out of my startup folder, any icons that I had
on
my desktop, and a number of links in my toolbar, don't appear on my
desktop, now.

Here is an ls -l showing my Desktop directory:

drwx------  3 myid    myid        4096 Feb 13 11:55 Desktop

The contents seem to be ok, i.e., the old things exist, but they don't
show up.

Has anyone else seen this, and what did you do to get around it?

On mine the permissiions are drwxr-xr-x which are different from yours.
The lack of read and execute may be preventing the system from getting
to the setup files.

That sounded plausible, so I changed the permissions...no go.

Tried renaming the Desktop directory, so that the system would create a
new one when I logged back in, still no go.

I suppose my next stop will be renaming the .kde directory.

Anyone have any other ideas?  This should not have been a problem.

Try this. Copy your home directory to a different location. Delete your user that you are having problems with. Then create a new user with the same parameters. Then copy the contents to your new home directory.

Worked for me once.

Harry G