Re: a humble request

Chris Rouch wrote:

>> It might have helped if there were some documentation about that.  I see
>> no man file, info file, and nothing useful for it
>> in /usr/share/doc/gnome-mount*/
>>
>> Why do programmers insist in useless README files?  They usually have
>> nothing that *needs* reading, and don't say anything about what you
>> *need* to know.
>>
>> There's only gnome-mount --help (or --help-all).  And I'm reluctant to
>> try unknown programs with a --help option, some start doing something
>> other than give you help information.
>>
>> > It's a bit of a pain getting used to the fact that this has changed,
>> but it's no harder than the old way once you've got used to it.
>>
>> Well, once we know how to use it, we could alias a shorter command name
>> to it.

In FC6, there is both a gnome-mount man page and info file.

> It expects different arguments to umount in any case. Assuming you'd
> manage to sanitise the mount point, "gnome-umount /media/cdrom" would
> fail with "gnome-mount 0.5". So not only did they forget to write any
> documentation, they also forgot the error messages.
>
> If you're lucky "gnome-umount -p /media/cdrom" will succeed (also with
> the message "gnome-mount 0.5"). But "gnome-umount -p /media/cdrom/"
> will fail.
>
> I'm sure gnome-mount is part of the journey to more intuative
> removable media handling, but it would be nice to have a sane umount
> back.

Shouldn't that be "gnome-umount cdrom" instead? Reading the man
page, it seams like /media automatically part of the mount point. At
least on my system, as SD card called MUSIC that gets mounted on
/media/MUSIC unmounts with "gnome-umount -p MUSIC", but doesn't with
"gnome-umount -p /media/MUSIC". I have to see what happens when I am
not logged into the GUI, but after unmounting it with gnome-umount,
I can mount it again with "gnome-mount -p MUSIC". (MUSIC is how the
SD card I am using for testing is labeled.)

Mikkel