Re: Creating a DVD for Stand-Alone player from avi clips

On Tuesday 13 February 2007, Laurence Orchard wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have looked at this thing till I've got details coming out of my
> ears!!! transcode memcoder mplayer k3b .......
>

> What I want to do should be easy!! in that someone must have done it
> before?
>
> I have 5 avi movie files sound/video etc that I would like to write to a
> DVD so I can show it on my TV via a stand-alone DVD player.
>
> Any command line would be greatly appreciated or a HowTo URL?

I take it that you are willing to do a bit of work?  If so, you can turn
your .avi files into .mpg files by using mjpegtools from the command line.
Here's how:

http://www.lydgate.org.uk/linux/AnalogueToDVD2.odp

Then you need dvdauthor installed.  Create a text file called my-dvd.xml

<dvdauthor dest="/home/laurence/recordings/">
	<vmgm />
	<titleset> <titles>
		<pgc>
			<vob file="scene1.mpg"/>
			<vob file="scene2.mpg"/>
			<vob file="scene3.mpg"/>
			<vob file="scene4.mpg"/>
			<vob file="scene5.mpg"/>
			<vob file="scene6.mpg"/>
		</pgc>
	</titles> </titleset>
</dvdauthor>

and run it with 'dvdauthor -x ../my-dvd.xml' adding a pathname if necessary.
That will give you AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS	which you can then burn to a disk by
whatever means you normally use.  Each .mpg file will be marked as a chapter.

Anne