Re: FC5 -> FC6 Upgrade/Update

On 2/13/07, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    I have several machines that are running FC5, configured as
servers.  They don't have X on them (but might have some X libraries
installed for the likes of ImageMagick.)  These machines are text only
and have almost 99.9% of everything stock with rpm updates on them.  The
occasional source installations are pretty minimal (sendmail, apache,
php, and binaries rpm updates of mysql.)

    So, how safe am I running an FC6 install and let it UPGRADE the
machine as opposed to doing a clean install, which I would prefer to
skip since these are production machines that need to remain running
with minimal disruptions.

    (My other option is to use a spare machine with FC6, transfer
everything from the old to the new, swap cables and put the spare one
on-line, then do a clean install on the actual server, move everything
back and bring it back online.  Something I'd rather not do.)

I have done yum upgrading form one Fedora to another several times now
and things seem to work out OK. There is always a little bit of
rpmsave file cleanup afterwards but I have never had a system not boot
to at least a text login with networking.

A question though: why do you not use the stock Fedora
apache/php/sendmail/mysql? That might be where some of your grief will
come from as rpm/yum will know nothing of them.

/Mike