cifs mount options

Just installed FC6 on my new workstation. Previous machine ran RH9. What
a difference!

One thing that's going to drive me nuts if I can't fix it: I'm trying to
add a couple of company network drives to my fstab, and I can't get it
right. So far I can create files on these volumes, but I can't edit the
files I just made. I also can't write to any previously existing files.

I have no trouble accessing and updating files from adjacent Windows
machines, and no trouble if I browse to the network drive with Nautilus.
I just can't make a good permanent mount out of it, which is really
inconvenient.

My current (non-working) fstab entry appears thus:

  //merope/jdrive /mnt/jdrive cifs user=xxx,password=xxx,uid=112,gid=101,file_mode=0666,dir_mode=0777 0 0

The uid and gid are the technical owner of the files on the (CentOS)
server. (I presume that's what those options are for.) I've tried many
combinations of other options with no success. Does anyone understand
this stuff well enough to explain it to a simpleton such as myself?