Re: How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?

Les Mikesell wrote:

> It's really irrelevant how many ways you don't need are still available.
>  What matters is that you had to find out about them because your
> distribution didn't work for internet delivery without modification and
> didn't have examples of the sendmail.mc lines that you did need.

Not really. Why should they be installed by default when most people
are not going to be running a mail server? If you are going to run a
mail server, then you need to install the Sendmail config package.
If you do not know how to configure Sendmail, then you should
probably install the Sendmail docs package as well, get a book on
Sendmail configuration, and/or read about how to configure it on the
WEB. If the machine is not going to have Internet delivery of mail,
you don't need it. If it is, then you are going to have to learn
about configuring Sendmail, or use a different program, and learn to
configure it. But it is up to you to make an informed choice.

You keep insisting that EVERY machine needs to be able to accept
Internet delivery of mail, but you have yet to give a valid reason
for this. Just because you keep insisting on it, does not make it
so. I have given you examples of classes of machines that have no
need for it, but you keep deleting that part of the message in your
replies, instead of addressing it. Isn't it part of basic security
to not run services you do not need, and limit connections to the
services you are running to machines that need to connect?

Mikkel