Re: First time trying Fedora

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 11:36 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 12/02/07, Harry Giles <hg57@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am going to try installing on my laptop, a HP Pavilion dv9000.
> >
> > My question is, does Fedora have a way during install to resize my XP
> > partition, or do I have to do it seperately?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Harry G
> >

> While you're proabably best off resizing the XP partition and leaving
> the rest as blank space on the disk using Windows-based tools, let me
> present to you another option:
>
> Backup all your user files and then install Fedora on the whole disk.
> I've not looked back since I switched from XP to Fedora when it was
> still Core 3, and it's only improved since then. Your mp3's, .doc's,
> jpg's, mpeg's, and everything else will still be usable on Fedora, as
> well as your firefox profile if you save it. Unless you use some
> obscure-function program that has no Linux equivelent, then you will
> find that your XP partition only wastes disk space.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/519/yello.html
> http://lishon.com

Never having trusted re-partitioning disks I have however recently been
using a live gparted cd

gparted-livecd-0.3.3-0

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

I have used it on my neighbour's XP machine and
he is still talking to me!

You MUST backup all important data just in case!

gparted is also available on FC6-live CD
http://fedoraunity.org/news-archives/fedora-core-6-zod-live-spins-released

John