Re: How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?

Todd Zullinger wrote:

There is a case that the service could be enabled by default and the
firewall left to deny access (by default) or allow it.  But I still
fail to see how disabling it by default is really broken as you keep
repeating.  You simply don't like the default.

Aside from not liking the default, I don't like the obscure way it is broken. Other services that are disabled generally have standard and obvious was to make them work normally.

File a bug and make
your case to someone that might be able to do something about it.

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone.  It was done on purpose.

I have very little concern for someone that intends to run a mail
server and doesn't take the time to read any of the documentation.
They will be boned in so many ways that arguing over how to make the
system work for them is pointless.  I believe the saying is something
like, "don't argue with fools, first, they drag you down to their
level, then beat you with experience."

You could say approximately the same thing about the kernel and device drivers - that they shouldn't work as distributed because you'll get in trouble with them if you don't know how to build your own. And it would make about as much sense.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx