Re: BIND not resolving some addresses

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Recently I've tried to follow a few links in e-mails and news, to find
the browser couldn't do so.  At first I thought it was just the server
being temporarily unavailable, but realised it's BIND.  And it's all the
BINDs that I have (the latest available using yum on FC4, FC5 & FC6).

For example, doing a dig on eweek.com it takes ages and eventually
fails.  Conversely, doing a dig using my routers resolver, returns
results almost instantly.  I don't use it, however, for two reasons:  I
use internal DNS servers for the LAN, and my ISP's servers aren't always
very good (don't ask me why, I'm not the one that manages them).

Has anyone seen a fix for this? Even though my dns server can resolve eweek.com, It can't resolve "e.staples-deals.com".

Ever since I ran bind on redhat 7.3, it has never resolved that domain name for me:

# dig e.staples-deals.com @mydnsserver
results in a status: SERVFAIL

# dig e.staples-deals.com @myrouter
results are good!!

These are indeed weird results. I'm currently running FC6 and I have the same exact problem as when I had it with RH 7.3.

Any ideas on how to track this down?

-Eric Wood