Re: How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?

> Yet, those same versions shipped named and ssh daemons that were just as
> insecure (perhaps more so) and had no similar network restriction applied.

No. That was still the era when you had to get cryptographic applications
from Finland if my memory is good, and certainly they had a few ssh
problems but nothing like sendmail back then.

named wasn't default install for a desktop (you don't need it on a
desktop), sendmail is needed because you need an internal mailing system
of some format.

> For some unusual definition of rational, I suppose.  Rational decisions
> would apply to all similar network packages.  There is clearly some
> prejudice involved here.

Mind the little man under your bed, he's out to get you ;)

> non-default RPM, no GUI tool, and not much documentation pretty much
> forever, the argument that 'sendmail should be replaced because it is
> complicated' is just self-fullfilling.  Half a dozen examples of
> sendmail.mc and a 'pick one' approach would cover the vast majority of

The .mc stuff exists because sendmail is complicated, and the fact there
isn't a one liner change in a trivial human readable config file is
because we kept sendmail rather than switching to exim because quite a
few Red Hat folks even back then during the sendmail hole of the week era
decided that users expected sendmail and it was the "normal" choice.

Alan