Re: New old iPAQ question(s)

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings everybody;
>
> I bought an iPAQ 3850 for the missus to keep track of her bowling scores
> etc, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to talk to it.
>
> Fedora Core 6, up2date.  Kernel 2.6.20, modules for ppp and ipaq built and
> installed & modprobed.
>
> A couple of pl2303 cables are in use here, and the one hooked to the
> iPAQ's serial cable is /dev/ttyUSB0, at least for this reboot, who knows
> where it will be on the next one? :-)

It is not hard to create a udev rule that will always create a
symlink named something like /dev/wince every time you plug in the
pl2303, regardless of the order you plug in the device. If you
always use the same cable, you can add the serial number to the
rule, so that only the specific cable gets the symlink...

> Following the directions at
>
> <http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/kde/synce-kde-basic-configuration.php>
>
> I have some diffs in the log messages, some I think caused by there being
> two of these pl2303 cables in use here.
>
> I have succeeded in getting the iPAQ to chime at me and claim it is
> connected, but it times out in about a minute and disconnects.

One thing to be careful of is that you need real status lines in
order for the sync to work correctly. Not all USB to serial adapters
support this. If the iPAQ says it is connected as before the adapter
is plugged in, or as soon as the adapter is plugged in, even if the
sync software in not running, then your adapter does not support the
status lines, so syncing gets to be interesting. You may be able to
get the device to sync, but it becomes a matter of luck and timing,
instead of being controlled by the status lines.

> I can't seem to find a copy of "vdccm", but do have "dccm", which must be
> run as a user, not root.  And when its run, its totally mute, not
> displaying the hex dump shown on the above page.  I assume thats a major
> problem, how is that to be fixed?
>
> Where can I find a copy of this 'vdccm' thing?  And whats the difference
> between it and dccm?

The vdccm and the dccm programs do basically the same thing. Dccm
comes from the synce package, and vdccm comes from the synce-kde
package. The big difference is that vdccm allows more then one
device to connect at the same time. You need to follow the synce and
not the synce-kde instructions if you are using dccm.

http://www.synce.org/index.php/SynCE-Wiki

> So I thought I might have enough to talk to it installed, but when I get
> to that part of the above tutorial where it demos the connection using
> konqeror via the 'rapip:' protocol, then both konqi and FF report that
> they have no knowledge of the rapip protocol.
>
> Does anyone have a clue where I might have made a wrong turn other than to
> confirm that I was out of my mind when I bought this thing?

You ether need to get the synce-kde package, or use the synce
instructions. The packages are the same. There is enough difference
to cause you problems. Also, the way you troubleshoot the two
packages is somewhat different. The other thing to be aware of is
that the synce-kde instructions are geared more to a device that
plugs into the USB bus directly, and not one that user a USB to
serial adapter. If you have a standard serial port, you may want to
use that instead of the USB to serial adapter. If you have a USB
synce cable for the iPAQ, that should work as well, and create what
looks to the system as a USB serial port.

One other point - after you have established a "trust relationship"
between the iPAQ and your Linux box, you can use a network
connection to sync as well. I have an old Itronics T5200 that I have
used this way. I used to synce it to my Mandriva desktop. Now that I
have converted the desktop to FC6, I have to set this up again...

Mikkel