Re: Codecs e media players

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 07:34 -0800, oldman wrote:

> Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > I have some video files here that can be played with mplayer, but not with
> > xine nor kaffeine. Why is that? Shouldn't any media player be able to play
> > any video file if the right codec is installed?
> > I have the w32codec package from atrpms installed (it places the codecs
> > in /usr/lib/win32) and i have softlinks pointing /usr/local/lib/codecs
> > and /usr/lib/codecs to /usr/lib/win32.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Marcelo
> >
> Try running xine/kaffeine from the terminal such as:
>
> xine /path/to/some/video.avi
>
> and see if the output says it is looking for codecs in some weird place.
>  Note that mplayer has many codecs built in now and won't be looking for
> them as xine will.

Same problem here, other files will play but flv files from youtube are
playing the video, but not the audio. So taking Mr. Oldman's advice to
heart, from a terminal I ran: xine --bug-report <filename.flv"  and it
seems that xine is having one heckuva time finding plugins in:
`/.xine/plugins

It didn't exist so I make a link to /usr/lib/xine/plugins
Still has the same problem. Maybe my version of xine doesn't grok the
libs that I am using?? I erased everything xine with rpm. Be careful NOT
to erase xinetd. Now, what would the majority suggest as the proper
install to have everything where it'll work? Were the livna versions
broken or possible mixing of files between linva and atrpms be a real
problem?? Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net