Re: How to exclude a dir. with tar

On Thursday, Feb 1st 2007 at 09:36 -0500, quoth linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx:

=>On Thursday 01 February 2007 09:32, Guillaume wrote:
=>> I have a directory to save located in a home dir, but
=>> inside it a temp dir I dont want to save. I try the
=>> --exclude option of tar to discard this one, but it don't
=>> seem to work.
=>> Someone can help me?
=>
=>Delete the directory or move it then do your tar ball.

What a horrible answer!

Yes, the exclude option works. I just tried it. I have some random
directory which contains a subdir call images.

531 > tar -cf /tmp/xxx.tar --exclude ./images .
532 > tar -tf /tmp/xxx.tar | grep image
./images.h
./libsprite/image.c
./images.c
533 >

If yours isn't working then maybe you can play around like I did above
and/or give us more info.

steveo at syslang.net