Re: Webcams again

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 11:06 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> In the thread "webcam support/hardware compatibility list" Riick Sewell wrote
>
> The person at http://mxhaard.free.fr/ was very helpful in getting the
> webcam to sort of work.  Unfortunately, my knowledge of webcams and
> color was so limited I could only help him to a point, and he had to
> wait for more knowledgeable people to get this webcam to get the colors
> even close to being correct.
>
> Rick, can you give us some idea of what you had to do?  It may give us a clue
> for troubleshooting our own colour problems.

I wish I could give a good answer to this question.

The person at http://mxhaard.free.fr had a way to dump registers, from
the webcam.  I sent him a message, with these registers.  We were lucky
when he made a guess the webcam chip set was similar to a chip set the
driver supported.

He sent me an updated driver, he thought might be able to get an image.

I compiled the driver, from him, and ran a tool, he had on his website,
that showed what was being seen from the webcam.  The tool could take a
picture.

I would take a picture and send the picture to him.  He would look at
the picture and tell me what lines to change in the driver.  I would
change those lines, take another picture, and send him the picture.

We would repeat the process as far as we were able.

He was able to get a picture.  The colors in the picture were poor.

What he needed was a person who understood more about cameras and
lighting and color--all things I did not know.

I was a pair of hands.  I got lost when he tried to explain the
different color things--YUV, parameters to try for red, green, blue,
gamma.  I am not a camera buff.  He was very patient with me.