Re: Printing header in Firefox -

On 1/31/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Goodwin:
> *Ok, after consuming about an acre of pulp wood I believe I have
> identified the following:

I know that feeling.  Even worse if you're using an inkjet, and the cost
of that ink!

> Page Setup under File allows me to adjust the distance from the top
> of the sheet to where the first line of text is printed. 0.4 inches
> [Top] seems to work.

It's been ages since I tried this out.  But I was under the impression
that Firefox's page setup let me set up how Firefox will print pages and
info *inside* the printer's printable area margins.  The size of the
inner border, measured from the border, not the edge of the page (a
relative measurement).

> File > Print > Properties allows setting of the distance from the
> top of the sheet to the header line.  I set this to 0.1 inch [Top].

I expect this to set the closest that anything can be printed to the
edges of the page.

> Printing a Footer seems hopeless, but then all I really need is the
> URL of the source and that prints nicely in the header.

Perhaps you need wider margins?  You mightn't be able to print as close
to the bottom edge as you hope, or it just refuses to try.  You could
try getting CUPS to print a test page, to see how close it gets.  The
other thing that springs to mind is whether you've reversed over which
margin is inside the other.

> Page Preview may look good but bears only a slight resemblance's to
> what the printer does.

Hmm, yes, previews are rather poor on most browsers.  I get the
impression that the application makes a guess, rather than using the
printer driver to generate a raster for the screen to display.  Things
like ″ character entities get a ridiculous length of blank space
after them.

I wrote to the hplip-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx last August regarding
the HP Officejet 6300 series PPD. The bottom margin in the PPD is set
at 0.5 inches; whereas, it is 0.12 inches in the User Guide. I have
yet to hear from them. I also have not checked to see if they fixed
the PPD. So check the HWMargin values in the PPD for your make of
printer. The values may be incorrect.