Re: associating extensions with applications

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 07:36 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Does Linux, or more specifically the Gnome desktop, have a widget like
> the one in Windows that associates file extensions with applications
> so that, for example, when I double-click on a ".txt" file it opens in
> my favorite text editor?  Do file extensions have any significance in
> Linux?

It looks like many things actually check the file type, but will fall
back to using the file name, if it had no luck.  Others have provided
some answers as to how to change an association, or which one is the
default.  Right-clicking a file, bringing up the properties dialogue,
allows one to change the "open-with" preferences for that type of file,
presuming that something does distinguish that type of file from others.
I've found plain text files to be a bit of problem.

e.g. You might want VIM to open most of them, but a music player to open
a playlist, by default.  I had to manually add #EXT3MU to the top of the
playlist files to get separate defaults for each.

I read messages from the public lists.