Re: webcam support/hardware compatibility list

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 12:35 -0800, David L wrote:
> I'd like to buy a webcam that has good support in fedora,
> preferably without any kernel patches/proprietary drivers.
> Any suggestions?

[snip]

I had the experience of buying a webcam, a Logitech QuickCam Express,
from Walmart, that I thought was supported, only to learn Logitech had
changed the chip set, but kept the name QuickCam Express.

I learned, it was important to find out the VendorID/ProductID.

Unfortunately, the VendorID/ProductID is not listed on the package.

[snip]
I realize my comment does not help answer the original question.
I relate this experience as a cautionary note of what might happen.

Yea, I had a similar experience with a webcam that I bought several
years ago, so I just used it on a Windows box.  But I'm trying to never
boot to the dark side of my hard drive anymore.  I can't seem to find
that old webcam, so I'd like to buy a new one.  I was hoping it was a
little easier to buy one in 2007 with a little bit of confidence that it would
actually work under Linux.  But the responses so far seem to
indicate that the webcam development is still mostly done outside of
what's shipped with most Linux distributions.?  I guess I'll just by one
that has the same name as one that was listed in one of the

Thanks for the responses.  I will post the results of my adventure.

David

PS - Perhaps webcam and other drivers will be easier to find in
the future because of this:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7636

Laugh, share and connect with Windows Live Messenger http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline