Re: webcam support/hardware compatibility list

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 23:20 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 January 2007 21:35, David L wrote:
> > I'd like to buy a webcam that has good support in fedora,
> > preferably without any kernel patches/proprietary drivers.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> I may as well start this off. I hadn't been bothered about a webcam, but my
> local Aldi supermarket had some webcams reduced from 25€ to 5€ so I went for
> one. It was a Lifetec LT9388 using the ov511 driver, and amazingly is
> supported in Linux. I have no problem capturing images with this using
> "Camstream", but Kopete is a bit hit and miss. You need KDE 3.5 to have the
> correct Kopete version to use the webcam. I have little contact with my 2
> contacts on Kopete, so havn't been able to see if I can send webcam images.
> Yoy do have a preview of the webcam image on Kopete, but have to admit that
> this is unreliable. Sometimes I just see a green background with some sort of
> logo on it which is a bit weird, and other times the webcam image is there,
> but very dark, and nothing that I do can get it brighter. These results are
> on FC5, Kubuntu, and Debian Etch.
>
> I also have a TV card using the bttv driver, and normally use Xawtv to watch
> the TV. Xawtv will also display webcam images, but I only was able to view
> them in greyscale. After a bit of Googling I found a fix. Add an option
> to /etc/modprobe.conf, as below.
> options ov511 force_palette=15
>
> Webcams appear to have some problems. As I've said, Camstream will capture
> images fine, but the problems seem to be with using the webcam, and instant
> messaging. Kopete from KDE 3.5 and onwards is supposed to work, and also aMSN
> is supposed to work.
>
> I've put some links below.
>
> http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/cameras.html
> http://webcam.sourceforge.net/
> http://tomatlab.videontv.org/webcam/webcamlinux.html
> http://www.seismo.ethz.ch/linux/webcam.html
> http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/framegrabbers.shtml
>
> Thats about all I can remember for now.

I'm using a "Creative Webcam Live!":

[root@prophead VideoStuff]# lsusb
<snip>
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 041e:4036 Creative Technology, Ltd Webcam
Live!/Live! Pro

It uses the gspca driver and seems to work well with video chats
(ekiga), kopete and the lot, at least as far as my (minimal) testing
goes.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -