Re: Cron message puzzle - SOLVED - sort of!

On Sunday 28 January 2007 23:19, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 26Jan2007 19:25, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | Unfortunately that has only partially solved the problem.  I'm now
> | getting logwatch messages, but no cron ones.  There is a small backup job
> | due to run twice daily, and I haven't seen any message for it yet.  The
> | job clearly ran this afternoon, as I can see files on the backup drive
> | that were not created until this morning.
>
> Are they being delivered to the machine itself instead? I have noticed that
> some jobs deliver to root@localhost or some icky variant like that, and
> some do not. Annoying.

Light has suddenly dawned!  The messages are arriving in David's mailbox -
which he hasn't been checking :-)  Looking back, these cron messages are
always sent to the owner of the job - logical.  There are two ways that I can
deal with this.  I can use kmail filters to redirect the message I think, or
I can run the job as root, in which case the message will come to me.

I'll try the redirect first.  If there are any problems, I'll go for the
second.

Anne