Re: OT: dual-core or 64 bit?

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 00:43, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Yes, they're out.  The "official" name for Pacifica is "AMD-V".  The
> Athlon64/X2 series has AMD-V, as does the Opteron 1xxx,2xxx and 4xxx
> series (e.g. Opteron 1210).
>
> If you "cat /proc/cpuinfo", look at the flags string.  AMD chips with
> AMD-V will have the "svm" flag.  Intel chips will have the "vmx" flag.
>
> I have an AMD Athlon64/X2 and an Opteron 1210.  Here's the procinfo
> for each.  First, the Athlon64/X2:
>
> [root@labrat1 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
> clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm
> 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
>
> And now the Opteron 1210:
>
> flags           : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
> clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm
> 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy

Thanks for that, Rick. Very interesting. I'll keep this thread when it's done
for future reference. Sure enough I just did "cat /proc/cpuinfo" on this P4
machine and there is no vmx flag.

But the question from both myself and Jonathan remains:- If I/he/we were to
build new systems using these processor chips, would we be able to get a Xen
kernel then install and run 98SE/XP/Vista as virtual machines?

Dave

--
Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763