Re: FC6 not connecting -- amplification

Beartooth wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:53:20 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
[...]
So I took out the CD and tried again. It still kept telling me device eth0
"seems not to be present." I configured an eth1; trying to activate that
got the same result.

I've started from the icon, new to me, that looks like a yellow star on a
blue balloon, with what might be a mouse at its lower left. Properties for
that give a command "/usr/bin/system-config-network"

I can get to a box that lets me tell it to obtain IP address settings
automatically with dhcp, told it yes, and tried with and without the
address of my router. No Joy. The MAC address it has is the one it has
always had; but probing claims that doesn't exist.

I seem to have forgotten to mention that at one point eth0 on some screen
was set to use only a static IP -- and the whole other half of that
screen, on which I'd've tried to tell it to get an IP from dhcp on the
router, was greyed out.
I later found a different screen that did seem to let me tell it to use
the dynamic IP from the router -- and I've tried restarting the network,
logging out and back in, and even rebooting right after that -- with no
success. So I'm not sure that the command to go get an IP is actually
registering.

Any time I first reboot and/or log in, doing /sbin/ifconfig gets me only
what the network connection icons do : lo only, with no indication of any
eth0 nor way to add one.
I'd've thought I could become root and do "nano -w /sbin/ifconfig" -- if I
knew what to add -- but what I get is four hundred-odd lines of gibberish,
with a note at the bottom saying it's converted from Mac format, whatever
that is.
la /etc|grep .conf gets me umpteen bazillion config files, and no doubt
grepping .cfg and the like will get me bazillions more. Is there one I can
open that's a text file, and figure out what to add into it??

You have to enable it to boot at startup or enable it through the interface. I believe either typing neat or system-config-network or getting to it through the system/administration/network menu would allow you to adjust the settings.

It should also tell you under the hardware tab what type of network card it thinks you have on the computer. In the DNS tab should be your hostname, primary and secondary DNS and the search path for the DNS.

My logic is that it must have configured some type of card since you said that you could choose static or DHCP.

If you highlight the device and choose edit, you should see a checkmark next to the "Activate device when computer starts"

For the other choice, it should be set to "automatically obtain IP address settings with dhcp"

For finding out the type of NIC is using from the command terninal, lspci should show all the info for your PCI devices.

To find out the driver loaded for the card, lsmod should show you which module driver was loaded for the card.

Jim

--
Linux: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.
VISTA - what's that?