Re: FC6 not connecting -- amplification

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:53:20 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
[...]
> So I took out the CD and tried again. It still kept telling me device eth0
> "seems not to be present." I configured an eth1; trying to activate that
> got the same result.
>
> I've started from the icon, new to me, that looks like a yellow star on a
> blue balloon, with what might be a mouse at its lower left. Properties for
> that give a command "/usr/bin/system-config-network"
>
> I can get to a box that lets me tell it to obtain IP address settings
> automatically with dhcp, told it yes, and tried with and without the
> address of my router. No Joy. The MAC address it has is the one it has
> always had; but probing claims that doesn't exist.

I seem to have forgotten to mention that at one point eth0 on some screen
was set to use only a static IP -- and the whole other half of that
screen, on which I'd've tried to tell it to get an IP from dhcp on the
router, was greyed out.

I later found a different screen that did seem to let me tell it to use
the dynamic IP from the router -- and I've tried restarting the network,
logging out and back in, and even rebooting right after that -- with no
success. So I'm not sure that the command to go get an IP is actually
registering.

Any time I first reboot and/or log in, doing /sbin/ifconfig gets me only
what the network connection icons do : lo only, with no indication of any
eth0 nor way to add one.

I'd've thought I could become root and do "nano -w /sbin/ifconfig" -- if I
knew what to add -- but what I get is four hundred-odd lines of gibberish,
with a note at the bottom saying it's converted from Mac format, whatever
that is.

la /etc|grep .conf gets me umpteen bazillion config files, and no doubt
grepping .cfg and the like will get me bazillions more. Is there one I can
open that's a text file, and figure out what to add into it??