Re: RPM Updates

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

>    Would someone please tell me how's this done?
>
>    Vanilla FC6 installs
>
> elfutils-libelf-0.123-1.fc6.i386.rpm
> elfutils-libelf-devel-0.123-1.fc6.i386.rp
>

>    However, running rpm updates, it wants:
>
> elfutils-libelf-0.125-1.fc6.i386.rpm
> elfutils-libelf-devel-0.125-1.fc6.i386.rpm
> elfutils-libelf-devel-static-0.125-1.fc6.i386.rpm
>
>    ...notice the -static one in there.  Apparently -devel wants the
> -static one as well.  Which is fine, however I can't just install
> -static with -ivh because it wants the -devel at the same time.  And I
> can't update the -devel one through -Fvh because -static isn't installed.
>
>    Someone explain to me why this "chicken and egg" scenario exists in
> various packages (I'm takling of previous versinos of FC here)?  It has
> been like that for years with some package or another.  And chances are
> a bunch of you are going to sing it in chorus to me: use yum.  Well
> fine, however that still does not solve the underlying problem of why
> this is happening in the first place nor how to successfully solve it
> with rpm, instead of switching to yum.

Doesn't rpm work if you download those packages and run

rpm -Uvh elfutils-libelf*

?

I wouldn't consider using yum to be switching from rpm as much as
being an enhancement to rpm.  rpm simply isn't designed to
automatically solve dependencies for you, while yum is.

In this case, the -static package was recently split out from the
-devel package.  Formerly the contents of it were included in -devel.

A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
    -- Peter Wimsey