Re: Cron message puzzle

On Sunday 28 January 2007 23:19, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 26Jan2007 19:25, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | Unfortunately that has only partially solved the problem.  I'm now
> | getting logwatch messages, but no cron ones.  There is a small backup job
> | due to run twice daily, and I haven't seen any message for it yet.  The
> | job clearly ran this afternoon, as I can see files on the backup drive
> | that were not created until this morning.
>
> Are they being delivered to the machine itself instead? I have noticed that
> some jobs deliver to root@localhost or some icky variant like that, and
> some do not. Annoying.
>
> Is there a /var/log/maillog file tracing mail delivery? (Possibly
> another syslog file.)

Hi, Cameron.  I can't understand what's happening.  I have been through every
logfile that might have the remotest connection with this, and can find no
sign of the messages.  For that matter, I can find no sign that the cron job
has actually run today - except that files created as late as 11:40 today are
on the backup disk.

I'm totally foxed!

Anne