Thunderbird issues

I use Thunderbird (1.5.0.9 - current version installed by yum) on a FC6 machine (x86_64) and I have 2 issues that maybe somebody has a solution to these

1) I can't set a custom sound to play upon receiving mail, the default "ding" works fine, and the wave file I want to use plays file with the "play" command. When playing the sound I just get screeching from the speakers.

2) resizing the fields in the inbox also resized the fields in the sent mailbox. The issue is the I want to see the sender of the message in the Inbox but I want to see the recipient in the sent mailbox. Right now I either have to resize every time I go into mailbox or leave both fields expanded.

Suggestions?

TIA
Jeff