Re: Kmail offline

On Friday 26 January 2007 17:20, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I am sorry. I will not help you with problems running GUI as root.
>>> Basically you have problems because this is not intended usage of the
>>> system. I CAN help you run kino as a regular user though. BTW, does
>>> kino not run as a use weather or not you have selinux enabled? If so,
>>> why did you bring it up as an argument against selinux?
>>
>> Gee, simple I'd think, I read the logs when it failed, and it was
>> selinux that denied me access to the ieee1394 hardware when i ran it
>> as the user gene, uid 500.
>
>So, after you disabled selinux you were able to run kino as user right?
> Did you try to use audit2allow?

Someone suggested it, I ran it, but its output looked like it was swahili
or something similar.  I even went thru the procedure to reload its
output into policy, but at that particular instant the stars weren't
aligned properly and it made no difference that I could detect.

>>> I think the strace is incomplete. This write() call is trying to
>>> write to file handle 2 and I don't see any open() call that returns
>>> 2.
>
>Sorry, 2 is one of the standard I/O handles, probably stderr. So there
> shouldn't have been an open call for that I suppose.

I finally grokked that myself, with the predictable result that there is
obviously a problem, but its beyond the perview of strace to show it/

Is there in fact a better *trace for stuff like this?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)