Re: Kmail offline

On Friday 26 January 2007 14:45, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 26 January 2007 13:30, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
>>> Why are you trying to use fonts in /root/.fonts? Are you running your
>>> GUI sessions as root?
>>
>> Usually, otherwise the stuff I want to do fails to open a path to the
>> x-session when I sudo or su -.  Kino was one such app that I could run
>> as a user even when I did the su thing to gain access to the ieee1394
>> hardware.
>
>I am sorry. I will not help you with problems running GUI as root.
> Basically you have problems because this is not intended usage of the
> system. I CAN help you run kino as a regular user though. BTW, does
> kino not run as a use weather or not you have selinux enabled? If so,
> why did you bring it up as an argument against selinux?

Gee, simple I'd think, I read the logs when it failed, and it was selinux
that denied me access to the ieee1394 hardware when i ran it as the user
gene, uid 500.

>> For the manpage writers we're being saddled with maybe.  As for the
>> aged references, I've done a lot of been there's and done that's in 72
>> years.
>
>In the world of modern computing more or less anything is outdated after
> 6-12 months. So yes, 3-4 years is stone age and your age is irrelevant
> to this discussion.
>
>> Here is the strace down to the first failure:
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> write(2, "/usr/share/fonts: failed to writ"..., 40/usr/share/fonts:
>> failed to write cache
>> ) = 40
>
>I think the strace is incomplete. This write() call is trying to write
> to file handle 2 and I don't see any open() call that returns 2.

It may be incomplete, but its as complete as strace gave me from the shell
invocation down to that error.  What you saw is verse 1 of a 10 or 12
verse run.  That was a straight copy paste from the shell it ran from.

Tell ya what, "strace fc-cache" on your system and see if there is
something different in the few lines preceding that write(2, yadda yadda
line) on your box.  I'm curious, there may be a clue there that is
missing from mine for some strange reason.  Silly Q:  Isn't 2=stderr?  In
which case that's both an unbuffered data path, and needs to be redireted
from the launching shell if its to do other usefull work.  And its always
open.  So maybe that is the write to the screen via stderr?  In which
case, where the hell is the real error?

OTOH this FC6 system has been strange from the gitgo, like having to go
find a bunch of cron related files from the old FC2 install and copy them
over before cron would run.  None of its config and reference files were
installed by anaconda.  They simply weren't there.  And all the rpm
checking I could get it to do said the install was all right.  Yeah,
sure.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)