Re: Too much hard drives failing

	Albert

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 05:56 +0000, Albert Graham wrote:
> Pablo,
>
> Wouldn't think this is Reiser/Fedora related, it could be BIOS related,
> Seagate Firmware related (e.g. if using RAID you may need *exact* same
> Seagate firmware installed).
>
> Not sure you if you the option of turning NCQ off ?

	Not realised there is such option? Are you talking about the BIOS?

	The only thing i changed on the BIOS is the sata operation mode, from
combined to "enhanced".

> This could be a faulty batch of disks too, I would contact Seagate and

	Of course, it could.

> check, in my case I'm one of those guys who believes in hardware raid
> for production machines, so failures can be resolved by disk replacement
> by anyone.

	No problem, we haven't had data loss at all. But im still trying to
figure out

> > How did you work the 3Ware firmware thing?
> I put 3ware under extreme pressure to produce a fixed (patch) that allowed my to revert their firmware to a previous version (not normally possible) and that fixed it. 3ware recently re-wrote there firmware code base which caused me lots of problems.

	heard a lot of bad words about that firmware. Can you please give me
details about how did you do that?

Thanks a lot

--
Pablo Povarchik - Level Next Ltd
CEO

Managed hosting services, the core of our work

+--------- Web Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation (AS41578) ----------+