Re: ripping DVDs

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Colin Brace wrote:

> On 1/25/07, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy <nigde@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a reliable way of ripping a DVD onto hard drive.
> > I have tried to use mencoder and transcode with and without GUIs,
> > but I get rather mixed results (mostly video is fine, but the
> > sound is all jumbled). The re-encoding is not a requirement, I can
> > keep the original VOBs as long as there is some way to rip and use
> > subtitles. I have tried and tried and to no avail.
>
> I have had good results with dvdrip, including producing .srt subtitle files:

is there a utility i can use to rip *excerpts* from a DVD based on
watching in real-time, then moving frame by frame to where i want, and
starting the rip until i tell it to stop, and dumping that into an AVI
file?

i've used menconder but that requires putting in the start and end
time, and i'd *really* like to do this on the fly, based on visual
cues.

rday