Re: ripping DVDs

On 1/25/07, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy <nigde@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am looking for a reliable way of ripping a DVD onto hard drive. I have tried to use mencoder and transcode with and without GUIs, but I get rather
mixed results (mostly video is fine, but the sound is all jumbled). The re-encoding is not a requirement, I can keep the original VOBs as long as
there is some way to rip and use subtitles. I have tried and tried and to no avail.

I have had good results with dvdrip, including producing .srt subtitle files:

$ rpm -qi dvdrip
Name        : dvdrip                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 0.98.2                            Vendor: Freshrpms.net
Release     : 1.fc6                         Build Date: Mon 27 Nov
2006 11:47:37 AM CET
Install Date: Thu 30 Nov 2006 12:04:00 AM CET      Build Host:
python3.freshrpms.net
Group       : Applications/Multimedia       Source RPM:
dvdrip-0.98.2-1.fc6.src.rpm
Size        : 2276097                          License: Artistic or GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 27 Nov 2006 11:48:01 AM CET, Key ID 692ac459e42d547b
Packager    : Matthias Saou <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
URL         : http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/
Summary     : Graphical DVD ripping and encoding tool based on transcode
Description :
dvd::rip is a full featured DVD copy program. It provides an easy to use but
feature-rich Gtk+ GUI to control almost all aspects of the ripping and
transcoding process. It uses the widely known video processing swissknife
transcode and many other Open Source tools.

--
 Colin Brace
 Amsterdam