Re: Beagle

Craig White wrote:
On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 19:52 +1030, Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 22:04 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
Are you saying every user needs his own instance and each will index
all files accessible by that that user?  That doesn't sound very
efficient for a multiuser system.
Hmm, dunno about that, unless you're hoping for some compression
efficiencies in the cataloging.  If you had three users which end up
with 1 megs worth of catalogs each, versus three users which each put 1
meg into a global catalog, you're still using 3 megs worth of disk
space.  Though, you mightn't want several indexing processes running all
the time, unless they really had a minimal load on the system.
----
I suppose if you were using a supported version of fedora, you would
have beagle installed and you could post informatively rather than
speculating on things you haven't looked at.

I have a copy on a test machine and one under parallels on an intel Mac, but haven't had time recently to do any testing. I've had too many instances of fedora updates breaking things to trust it with any data I'd consider worth indexing. I don't mean to insult the people working on the system because realistically it is isn't going to get testing until they roll it out, but I don't like surprises. Maybe a distro like fedora could be usable for real work if the kernel went back to the model of putting wild and crazy changes in an odd-numbered version that didn't automatically get pushed to everyone. Meanwhile, I have to stick to something that keeps backwards compatibility during
updates.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxxx