Re: vmware

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:39:35 +0100, Guillermo Garron <guillermo.fedora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/20/07, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Denis Leroy wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> roland wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I need some advice.
>>> I have a client, car spare parts, who has a lot of
>>> Microsoft-programs to install, pricelists and tech-info.
>>> So I was thinking:
>>> 1.install Fedora as terminal server for internet,mail and office.
>>> 2.install vmware above
>>> 3.install Microsoft terminal server, as a virtual server of vmware,
>>> for the typical MsWin applications
>>>
>>> Is this a good idea, or is there a better way?
>>
>> If you are looking for stability in the host OS, fedora probably
>> isn't the best choice.
>> First you'll have to track down a patch to even make vmware work
>
> no you won't

I've seen several posts that the module won't compile.  Are they
mistaken?
I had that problem too, but it was not solved by a patch, just a small trick.

http://www.go2linux.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=9

but anyway, I agree with your that maybe if it is for his client maybe
the best option is CentOS, as the have bigger cycles than fedora, and
a server is supposed to be installed for long time.
But it is just my opinion.

I use CentOS and Debian for server aplications and Fedora en Ubuntu for Desktop

I thank you all for your help
I asked the question on the site of centos and got this:
--
Anyway, vmware-server should always be the base and other machines running as guests inside ... If you need two terminal servers ( a linux based one with ltsp and the other one with M$ TSE) you need to know that such machines are cpu (and memory even) intensives. so don't forget to at least put a lot of memory inside the machine, or divide the load on 2 or more physical machines ... Otherwise, vmware-server installs very quick on CentOS, you don't even have to compile the network modules, since vmware support rhel and so centos ....
--

Roland Brouwers
C.A.T. bvba