Re: Beagle

> Ric Moore wrote:
>

> > I thought tracker was an editor/composer, not just a player as mikmod
> > is/was/whatever. They both have been around since RH4. So, now tracker
> > is a database ?? Hard up for names? It's confusing. Someone better tell
> > Google. Nor should one exclude the other, as they serve different
> > purposes. One composes scores and plays back scores, the other (mikmod)
> > only plays them.
>
> Mikmod has obsoleted the old tracker for a *long time*. If you like the
> old tracker, feel free to package it up and maintain in Fedora. It
> probably takes less time to maintain it as compared to writing these
> long mails.

Not for me. :) As I said, they are not the same application at all. So
how could mikmod obsolete tracker? They are two different animals
although they are cousins.

> > Why not name the new database "pine" since that would make as much sense
> > or even more since Pine isn't in the FC scheme of things.
>
> Pine might not currently be in the formal Fedora repository but folks do
> use it. So your argument makes no sense to me.

Yours makes no sense to me either, but that seems to be the way of it.

> Also tracker is not a
> database. It uses one though. Read the links in more detail.

"It consists of a common object database that allows entities to have an
almost infinite number of properties, metadata (both embedded/harvested
as well as user definable), a comprehensive database of keywords/tags
and links to other entities.

It is not a database?

>   Lots! Tracker is one helluva app and doesn't need
> > anything huge to run on. <sigh> my two cents, Ric
>
> Lots of different packages get to have the same name. We deal with that
> constantly in Fedora repositories. So learn to live with it.

Lots? Name two. Constantly? I seriously doubt it. Learn to live with it?
I don't buy that. <smiles> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net