Re: Beagle

> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 00:39 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >

> >> Also, there is a different implementation of a similar program called
> >> tracker available in Fedora Extras written in C which is very fast but
> >> has few functionality than Beagle currently.
> >>
> >> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Tracker
> >>
> >> A package in Fedora Core called mikmod obsoletely a very old version of
> >> a different program called tracker so you would need to exclude it off
> >> to install tracker.
> > According to your reference webpage (see above) tracker is a database.
> > Well, tracker has been an audio editor for .mod and .sm files for ages
> > and I thought mikmod played .mod files in linux. Or am I somehow warped
> > back in to the past?? God, I hate when that happens. I don't know what
> > to wear for the Prom. Ma! <shudders> Ric
>
> You are talking about the older version of tracker that is currently
> obsoletely by mikmod that I already mentioned above.

I thought tracker was an editor/composer, not just a player as mikmod
is/was/whatever. They both have been around since RH4. So, now tracker
is a database ?? Hard up for names? It's confusing. Someone better tell
Google. Nor should one exclude the other, as they serve different
purposes. One composes scores and plays back scores, the other (mikmod)
only plays them.

What is a tracker?

A tracker is a program used for writing digital music. Unlike
sequencers, which save to MIDI event streams for specific devices,
tracked music is self contained. This means, that the files created in
trackers (called "modules") can be heard on any computer or soundcard
while keeping the same sounds and instruments. For this, a module
contains notes, samples, and insturment data.

How does a tracker work?

The concept of a tracker is very simple. You write a song in sections,
and then define the order in which such sections are played. A section
is called a "Pattern", and it consists of a group of "tracks" in which
you can lay out notes and sound modifiers. A typical track looks like
this:

... .. .. .00
... .. .. .00
... .. .. .00
A-5 11 50 .00
... .. .. D10
... .. .. D00
... .. .. D00
=== .. .. .00
Mikmod is a module player and library supporting many formats, including
mod, s3m, it, and xm. Originally a player for MS-DOS, MikMod has been
ported to other platforms, such as Unix, Macintosh, BeOS, and Java(!!)

That's what I thought. Ole Ric hasn't been completely asleep face-down
in the oatmeal, ya know. Now someone swipes the name because they
decided to, and removed the only alternative to MIDI sound composition
software that has been around as long as Linus, and substitutes the
player for the composed files as a replacement?? <boggles> Tracker works
where MIDI doesn't.

Why not name the new database "pine" since that would make as much sense
or even more since Pine isn't in the FC scheme of things.

Bruce Springstein p/o'd me when he STOLE Robert Mitchum's "Thunder
Road", too. Old Robert, had he been alive, would have kicked his butt
in. Tracker deserves to remain Tracker because it was the "Right Thing",
given freely to make linux cool years ago and for that deserves some
modicum of respect, ie not ripping off the name. There are plenty of
names to chose from. Lots! Tracker is one helluva app and doesn't need
anything huge to run on. <sigh> my two cents, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net