Re: Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

At 3:37 AM +0000 1/20/07, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:41:03 -0500, taharka wrote:
>
>> Fedora Core 6 was released on October 24, 2006 and scheduled to come out
>> a half-year later is the seventh major release for the Fedora Project.
>> However, unlike Yarrow, Tettnang, Heidelberg, Stentz, Bordeaux, and Zod,
>> Fedora 7 is shaping up to be the most ambitious release yet. With all
>> the work and reform going into Fedora 7 it poses the question, will
>> Fedora 7 be Linux's knight in shining armor?
>>
>> Full article at;
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=627&num=1
>>
>> taharka
>>
>> Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.
>>

>I'm kind of wary about this division into desktop, kde-desktop and server.
>Will they all come on the same dvd, or do I have to select which one to
>download before installing? If they come separate, and I select (gnome)
>desktop, say, does it mean I can't run k3b or qtparted? Does it mean I
>can't install apache? Can someone please clarify why the separation?

All the packages don't fit on a DVD or a reasonable number of CDs.  This is
already the case, but the FC6 ISOs didn't also try to contain Extras.
After the Core/Extras merge in FC7, there is no Extras, so the previous
rule that "the ISOs only contain Core" becomes inoperative, and new-think
is required.

>On my
>machines there is no clear cut separation between
>desktop/workstation/server. I have countless packages that I bet will be
>from all release types.

In the past one installed them with yum, over the network.  Now more of
them will be on the ISOs.  This is most important for those who don't have
(high-speed) Internet access and only get what is on the ISOs.

Using dual-layer DVD ISOs would fit more of Fedora, but would use (even)
more storage on the mirror sites than the planned 3 pairs of sets of ISOs
(say, about 32 GB vs. about 24 GB).  I'm not sure that argument really
holds water, but that's what's being said.

>Oh, and could someone please make a kernel rpm independent of SELinux?

You can do it yourself.  In fact, since it's all about "trust", you're the
only one who could do it anyway.