Re: Beagle

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 21:08 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
Craig White wrote:
given the subject of beagle which is designed to crawl and index all
available filesystems and file content makes it a rather poor candidate
for superuser usage.
You lost me there... I'd expect superuser rights to be absolutely necessary for
something that needs access to all parts of the filesystem.
----
If the tools are designed to run in user space, what is the point of
indexing stuff that isn't accessible in user space?

If a tool does something useful, then it is probably useful for the administrator
and his files as well as everyone else.  I'm not sure I follow your use of
the term 'user space'.   Normally this is used to distinguish between the
kernel and all other processes.  This is a very different concept than the
difference between a non-administrator and the  admin user (root).

To clarify the point that seems confusing as pointed out in your
question, on a Linspire system where the user is superuser, beagled
would clearly run as root. On a Fedora system where superuser login to
GUI is discouraged, beagle indexing everything for the superuser only
would be rather pointless.

I'll admit I haven't looked at what it really does. Are you saying every user needs his own instance and each will index all files accessible by that that user? That doesn't
sound very efficient for a multiuser system.

--
 Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx