Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 10:03 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 19 January 2007 07:40, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> >
> >Aside from rebuilding from source with selinux options disabled in the
> >compile-time configuration, you are correct - you cannot remove the
> >actual selinux bits from Fedora at runtime, although you can disable
> >their execution (boot with selinux=0).  Performing an audit of the code
> >associated with disabling SELinux at boot time isn't difficult, and
> >doesn't require understanding the rest of the SELinux code that is never
> >reached in that case.
>
> I have removed it from the kernel, but those log messages I posted before
> are still in the logwatch report this morning.

Do you mean the loginuid messages?  That isn't selinux, as I said - that
is audit-related.  You can remove pam_loginuid from your /etc/pam.d/*
configs.  You could file a bug against it or audit arguing that they
should check whether audit is enabled in the kernel and silently exit in
that case.

> I'm a bit less concerned with it now after all this discussion, but I
> doubt if I'll bring it back in.  Why?  Well, so far, the instructions as
> to how to recover the system once its been disabled have not been good
> enough to re-enable everything, so even if its set permissive, my logs
> will have many kilobytes a day saying that this or that was blocked.  My
> nightly amanda run probably makes 50k of entries all by itself.
>
> Those recovery instructions should be in a 'man selinux' but I don't
> recall seeing them in there when I did look 2 weeks ago.  Were they, and
> I can't read?

Do you mean how to relabel your filesystems?  That is mentioned there as
well as in the Fedora SELinux FAQ, and rc.sysinit should do it
automatically upon booting a selinux-enabled kernel after previously
running disabled.  Possibly it needs to run fixfiles with the -F flag to
force relabeling of even customizable contexts.  File bugs on the
appropriate packages (initscripts if it isn't working correctly,
libselinux for the man page).

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency