Re: Udev problem

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I use a video capture card for my analogue camcorder, and a webcam.  Udev's
> habit of randomly setting video0 and video1 are a problem, so after a good
> bit of reading I set out to create persistent symlinks.  The idea is that the
> device is recognised and the link is made to whichever video* is appropriate.
> The links are created, but there are problems.
>
> First, /dev/DC10plus does not get removed at shutdown.  I'm not sure
> about /dev/webcam, I haven't seen any error messages (though I haven't
> thoroughly examined the logs).  Looking at the permissions on the links,they
> are owned root:root.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Jan 18 16:39 /dev/DC10plus -> mapper/control
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Jan 18 16:39 /dev/webcam -> video0
>
> If I chown to anne:root they are properly deleted on shutdown.
>
> Attempting to use /dev/DC10plus gives me these errors:
>
> **ERROR: [lavrec] Error opening video-device (/dev/DC10plus): Permission
> denied
> **ERROR: [lavrec] Something went wrong while setting up the card
>
> After chown:
>
> **ERROR: [lavrec] Error setting channel: Permission denied
> **ERROR: [lavrec] Something went wrong while setting up the card
>
> It all seems to revolve around permissions.  Also, it looks as though anne may
> need to own the link in order to use it.  If so, I have to find some way of
> that being automatically set.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Anne

When you are using symlinks, the permissions that matter are the
permissions of the file the link points to. You can not set the
permissions of the symlink. You can set the permissions of the
device in the udev rules. But you have to be careful because some
devices get the permission changed by console.perms, so the udev
permissions do not have any affect. Changing the permissions as root
will only last until the owner of the console changes. Then
console.perms will reset them.

Mikkel