Re: Beagle

On Thursday 18 January 2007 14:09, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> With the obvious costs associated with running it, and no visible
>> benefit to this user, hell it didn't even have a man page, can you
>> (Rahul=TPTB) present a valid argument that I should reinstall it?  I
>> don't like secret software, I don't trust secret software, and if I
>> have any control over it, I'm not running any secret software.
>>
>> So justify it, give us manpages, or don't make it part of a default
>> install.
>
>Beagle in simple terms in a desktop search utility. It can search index
>text, word and pdf documents, all kind of images and videos, mails, chat
>logs etc and when you do a search go through the index and present this
>information pretty quickly compared to real time searches with say find
>and grep which is limited to filenames and textual information.

Maybe that's true, and I certainly cannot testify either way because as I
said before, I've never been able to get it to show me (root) a single
character of output.

>However,
>the catch is that the preindexing part has been a resource hog,
>sometimes buggy along with the implementation choice of using Mono which
>itself isnt very mature. The latest version in the Fedora development
>tree has a considerable improvement in speed and robustness though.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_Desktop_Search
>http://beagle-project.org/
>
>If it doesnt work for you or you dont need such a utility. Remove it.
>Atleast in Fedora Core 5, we didnt enable it by default. I didnt have a
>need for it and removed it completely. It did have a spurious dependency
>on Evolution in FC5 which we have split up into a separate component in
>FC6.
>
>Also, there is a different implementation of a similar program called
>tracker available in Fedora Extras written in C which is very fast but
>has few functionality than Beagle currently.
>
>http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Tracker
>
>A package in Fedora Core called mikmod obsoletely a very old version of
>a different program called tracker so you would need to exclude it off
>to install tracker.
>
># yum install tracker --exclude=mikmod
>
>Rahul

This does not yet explain to me how to actually make it DO something for
me.  Is the user front end broken for root?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)