Re: FTP server recomendations?

John Bowden wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 17:56 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 22:30 +0000, John Bowden wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 16:07 -0600, Thomas Cameron wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 21:52 +0000, John Bowden wrote:
I.m gonna set up an ftp server on another box, sooner or later it will
be open to the public, though not right away. Any suggestions on which
server to run. I'm also setting up Apache on the same box and that has
an ftp module, should I stick with that?
vsftpd comes with FC6, and it is pretty secure.  In fact, "vsftpd"
stands for Very Secure FTP Daemon.  See http://vsftpd.beasts.org/#people
for some testimonials.

Thomas

Er. I.m thinking of using Mandriva Linux (ducks & weaves), as I been
using it for a lot longer and know it a bit better.
Perhaps you should ask on that list, then?  I don't know about others on
this list, but I am certainly not a subject matter expert on Mandriva.

Or just use vsftpd on Mandriva.  It should work on any distro.

Thomas

I was asking for ftp server software recommendations to see what people
were using. It is available in the MDK repositories so I will probably
go with it

i realize i'm a few days late coming in on this one, but I'd personally recommend pure-ftpd. Its very flexible, provides better virtual user support than vsftpd, and has a very clean security track record. Although I havent used it for anonymous ftp, I have been utilizing it as my primary ftp server for almost 7 yrs now. Going through the configuration file, it seems to offer many options towards anonymous ftp...

-greg

--
http://www.gvtc.com
--

“only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.” -anonymous