Beagle

Gene Heskett wrote:

With the obvious costs associated with running it, and no visible benefit to this user, hell it didn't even have a man page, can you (Rahul=TPTB) present a valid argument that I should reinstall it? I don't like secret software, I don't trust secret software, and if I have any control over it, I'm not running any secret software.

So justify it, give us manpages, or don't make it part of a default install.

Beagle in simple terms in a desktop search utility. It can search index text, word and pdf documents, all kind of images and videos, mails, chat logs etc and when you do a search go through the index and present this information pretty quickly compared to real time searches with say find and grep which is limited to filenames and textual information. However, the catch is that the preindexing part has been a resource hog, sometimes buggy along with the implementation choice of using Mono which itself isnt very mature. The latest version in the Fedora development tree has a considerable improvement in speed and robustness though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_Desktop_Search
http://beagle-project.org/

If it doesnt work for you or you dont need such a utility. Remove it. Atleast in Fedora Core 5, we didnt enable it by default. I didnt have a need for it and removed it completely. It did have a spurious dependency on Evolution in FC5 which we have split up into a separate component in FC6.

Also, there is a different implementation of a similar program called tracker available in Fedora Extras written in C which is very fast but has few functionality than Beagle currently.

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Tracker

A package in Fedora Core called mikmod obsoletely a very old version of a different program called tracker so you would need to exclude it off to install tracker.

# yum install tracker --exclude=mikmod

Rahul