Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 23:31 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Wed January 17 2007 9:43 pm, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > I think that when the issues turn political, and have departed both from
> > Selinux and Fedora both, then it's time to move to the MandrakeOT list.
> > On the other hand, I think there's alot of things that can be learned
> > about Selinux, the reason it exists, and the reasons it was integrated
> > into Fedora.  It would also be noteworthy as to why it was not
> > architected as to be easily removed.
>
> As mentioned in another post, I'm not as concerned as when this discussion
> began about the back door. It doesn't mean any of the other issues you raise
> aren't important. And, I would add one - who exactly is running the Selinux
> project and who writes all those rules that get so rapidly updated - one came
> in tonight.  It's still an amazing anomaly that the NSA and the leading
> corporate promoter of the Open Source Linux OS would be working together.
> I've heard it passed off as NSA's self interest, so they can protect their
> own networks - somehow, that explanation rings short, very short.
>
> Bush did announce today an end to the warrant-less communications surveillance
> programs.
>
> > All those latter items fall within
> > the purview of the Fedora list.  Those discussions should continue,
> > instead of being discouraged by the New Castrati.
>
> Yes, well, people act that way for all sorts of reasons

Here's some new info for you.  If you do like I did and proceed to
execute

rpm -ev --nodeps libselinux

then your system at that point is essentially hosed.  The rpm command
becomes nonfunctional.  A reboot causes a kernel panic early on in the
boot process.

Doing a rescue disk and then a chroot (root pivot) doesn't do you any
good since rpm is hosed.  There may be other alternatives, but the one I
used to get the box back online was to use the FC5 Unity dvd for an
upgrade.  You upgrade FC5 to FC5, in other words.

The story is more complex than that of course, but the experience was
very instructional.  Todd Zullinger was correct in his suggestion that a
distro switch would be the most efficient way to get rid of selinux.

LX
--
Off Topic or Political Discussions: