Re: Kopete & video

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 20:51 +0000, Scott van Looy wrote:
> Today Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:
>
> > On 08/01/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> It's very frustrating.  Two or three years back I had gnomemeeting working.
> >> used it for a linux to linux and for a linux to windows session
> >> (netmeeting).
> >> I haven't needed it for a long time, so I've been quite shocked to see how
> >> hard it is now.
> >>

> > I'm also a bit shocked. I jump around from distro to distro, and I
> > haven't had a problem with Kopete in a long time. My webcam is a
> > Logitech Quikcam. On my current distro, Kubuntu, I just plugged it in
> > and it works. I've got Kopete 0.12.3 on KDE 3.5.5. I'm actually
> > considering whether this month It'll be FC6 or (don't hate me) the
> > latest SUSE, which I haven't tried in a while. If webcam support under
> > Fedora is that bad, then that'll be a big problem for me. My first
> > daughter was born two weeks ago, and the grandparents don't live in
> > Israel. So there's been quite a bit of webcamming going on in our
> > household as of late.
>
> Stop with the FUD. Get the correct kernel module for your cam (most are
> available from ATrpms and other places if they're not included already)
> and then load kopete. Worked first time with my ancient Intel Create and
> Share camera...

ARGH!

If the two of you would have taken the time to read the thread instead
of playing "who's the biggest jack-ass" you'd notice that:
A. This has nothing to do with the kernel module - in both cases (Mine
and the OP) the webcam works just fine under non-kopete applications.
B. There's a bug in Kopete that breaks the MSN accept/reject webcam
cycle.
C. At least in my case, kopete freezes out from time to time once the
webcam is active.

As as I said up the thread, my webcam works just fine under both amsn
and mplayer.
Once I'll have some free time I'll open a BZ in kde.org and try to help
them sort this problem out.

Geez!
- Gilboa