Re: ps command: too long usernames show up as numbers?

So: is my conclusion correct that usernames above
a certain length (longer than 8 chars?) are shown
only with the userid number in the 'ps' list?

I find this rather surprising....

Rob.

Just tested that on my system and your conclusion appears to be
correct.  I created 3 new users: longusername, abcdefgh, abcdefghi.  I
then did a su to each and checked the output of the ps command and
only abcdefgh (8 characters) showed up as username. The other two only
displayed their user ID.  Good to know if one is grepping the output
of the ps command for a particular user (either in a script or at the
command line).

Thanks,

Jacques B