Re: [Way Way OT] Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Wed January 17 2007 8:25 pm, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> You have to understand that the government doesn't speak with one
> voice.  There are plenty of groups in the government that think the
> executive branch is messing up in a big way.

Yes

> You might want to download the recent talk "Celebrating 30 years of
> public Cryptography."  Going into the talk I was expecting the retired
> NSA speaker Brian Snow, to come out advocating the control-freak party
> line.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  I got the distinct impression
> that 1) he thought that most of the current US problems were caused by
> the US acting badly with respect to the rest of world.  2) He stated
> several times that you won't be happy with the results if you give the
> government the rights to start snooping on its citizens.  In short, I
> think this guy "gets it."
>
>     http://www.voltage.com/PKC/  (search for "mp3 audio")

I will - I've been following all the leads provided in this thread

> Finally, do I think selinux is trojaned?  Highly doubtful.  Selinux is
> their chance to show the world what kind of work they can do.  Putting
> a trojan in there is going to pretty much kill any goodwill and trust
> they continue to get for helping the linux community out.

I'm tending to think you're right based on everything I've read so far. The
fact that the source is open and subject to scrutiny by everyone, including
those who would relish embarassing the NSA further, just seems like it would
make it a fool's errand...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA